Overview of the Names of God in Scripture
(1) Elohim: The plural form of EL, meaning “strong one.” It is used of false gods, but when used of the true God, it is a plural of majesty and intimates the trinity. It is especially used of God’s sovereignty, creative work, mighty work for Israel and in relation to His sovereignty (Isa. 54:5; Jer. 32:27; Gen. 1:1; Isa. 45:18; Deut. 5:23; 8:15; Ps. 68:7).
Compounds of El:
El Shaddai:“God Almighty.” The derivation is uncertain. Some think it stresses God’s loving supply and comfort; others His power as the Almighty one standing on a mountain and who corrects and chastens (Gen. 17:1; 28:3; 35:11; Ex. 6:1; Ps. 91:1, 2).
El Elyon: “The Most High God.” Stresses God’s strength, sovereignty, and supremacy (Gen. 14:19; Ps. 9:2; Dan. 7:18, 22, 25).
El Olam: “The Everlasting God.” Emphasizes God’s unchangeableness and is connected with His inexhaustibleness (Gen. 16:13).
(2) Yahweh (YHWH): Comes from a verb which means “to exist, be.” This, plus its usage, shows that this name stresses God as the independent and self-existent God of revelation and redemption (Gen. 4:3; Ex. 6:3 (cf. 3:14); 3:12).
Compounds of Yahweh: Strictly speaking, these compounds are designations or titles which reveal additional facts about God’s character.
Yahweh Jireh (Yireh): “The Lord will provide.” Stresses God’s provision for His people (Gen. 22:14).
Yahweh Nissi:“The Lord is my Banner.” Stresses that God is our rallying point and our means of victory; the one who fights for His people (Ex. 17:15).
Yahweh Shalom:“The Lord is Peace.” Points to the Lord as the means of our peace and rest (Jud. 6:24).
Yahweh Sabbaoth:“The Lord of Hosts.” A military figure portraying the Lord as the commander of the armies of heaven (1 Sam. 1:3; 17:45).
Yahweh Maccaddeshcem: “The Lord your Sanctifier.” Portrays the Lord as our means of sanctification or as the one who sets believers apart for His purposes (Ex. 31:13).
Yahweh Ro’i: “The Lord my Shepherd.” Portrays the Lord as the Shepherd who cares for His people as a shepherd cares for the sheep of his pasture (Ps. 23:1).
Yahweh Tsidkenu: “The Lord our Righteousness.” Portrays the Lord as the means of our righteousness (Jer. 23:6).
Yahweh Shammah: “The Lord is there.” Portrays the Lord’s personal presence in the millennial kingdom (Ezek. 48:35).
Yahweh Elohim Israel: “The Lord, the God of Israel.” Identifies Yahweh as the God of Israel in contrast to the false gods of the nations (Jud. 5:3.; Isa. 17:6).
(3) Adonai: Like Elohim, this too is a plural of majesty. The singular form means “master, owner.” Stresses man’s relationship to God as his master, authority, and provider (Gen. 18:2; 40:1; 1 Sam. 1:15; Ex. 21:1-6; Josh. 5:14).
(4) Theos: Greek word translated “God.” Primary name for God used in the New Testament. Its use teaches: (1) He is the only true God (Matt. 23:9; Rom. 3:30); (2) He is unique (1 Tim. 1:17; John 17:3; Rev. 15:4; 16:7); (3) He is transcendent (Acts 17:24; Heb. 3:4; Rev. 10:6); (4) He is the Savior (John 3:16; 1 Tim. 1:1; 2:3; 4:10). This name is used of Christ as God in John 1:1, 18; 20:28; 1 John 5:20; Tit. 2:13; Rom. 9:5; Heb. 1:8; 2 Pet. 1:1.
(5) Kurios: Greek word translated “Lord.” Stresses authority and supremacy. While it can mean sir (John 4:11), owner (Luke 19:33), master (Col. 3:22), or even refer to idols (1 Cor. 8:5) or husbands (1 Pet. 3:6), it is used mostly as the equivalent of Yahweh of the Old Testament. It too is used of Jesus Christ meaning (1) Rabbi or Sir (Matt. 8:6); (2) God or Deity (John 20:28; Acts 2:36; Rom. 10:9; Phil. 2:11).
(6) Despotes: Greek word translated “Master.” Carries the idea of ownership while kurios stressed supreme authority (Luke 2:29; Acts 4:24; Rev. 6:10; 2 Pet. 2:1; Jude 4).
THE OLD TESTAMENT NAMES FOR GOD
ELOHIM……Genesis 1:1, Psalm 19:1
meaning “God”, a reference to God’s power and might.
meaning “Lord”, a reference to the Lordship of God.
a reference to God’s divine salvation.
meaning “The Lord thy sanctifier”
meaning “The Lord my shepherd”
meaning “The Lord who is present”
meaning “The Lord our healer”
meaning “The Lord our righteousness”
meaning “The Lord will provide”
meaning “The Lord our banner”
meaning “The Lord is peace”
meaning “The Lord of Hosts”
meaning “The God of Recompense”
EL-ELYON…………..Genesis 14:17-20,Isaiah 14:13-14
meaning “The most high God
meaning “The strong one who sees”
EL-SHADDAI…………Genesis 17:1,Psalm 91:1
meaning “The God of the mountains or God Almighty”
Like other Hebrew proper names, the name of God is more than a mere distinguishing title. It represents the Hebrew conception of the divine nature or character and of the relation of God to His people. It represents the Deity as He is known to His worshipers, and stands for all those attributes which He bears in relation to them and which are revealed to them through His activity on their behalf. A new manifestation of His interest or care may give rise to a new name. So, also, an old name may acquire new content and significance through new and varied experience of these sacred relations.
ALPHA AND OMEGA: (Revelation 1:8) I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF OUR FAITH: (Hebrews 12:2) Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
BELOVED SON: (Matthew 12:18) Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall show judgment to the Gentiles.
COUNSELLOR: (Isaiah 9:6) For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
CREATOR: (John 1:3) All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made
DELIVERER: (Romans 11:26) And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
EVERLASTING FATHER: (Isaiah 9:6) For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
GOOD SHEPHERD: (John 10:11) I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
HOLY ONE: (Acts 3:14) But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you
I AM: (John 8:58) Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
KING OF THE JEWS: (Matthew 2:2) Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
LAMB OF GOD: (John 1:29) The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
LORD OF ALL: (Acts 10:36) The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)
LORD OF GLORY: (1 Corinthians 2:8) Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
LORD OF LORDS: (1 Timothy 6:15) Which in his times he shall show, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
MESSIAH: (Daniel 9:25) Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
MORNING STAR: (Revelation 22:16) I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
PRINCE OF PEACE: (Isaiah 9:6) For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
SON OF DAVID: (Matthew 1:1) The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
SON OF GOD: (Matthew 2:15) And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.
- Advocate (1 John 2:1)
- Almighty (Rev. 1:8; Mt. 28:18)
- Alpha and Omega (Rev. 1:8; 22:13)
- Amen (Rev. 3:14)
- Apostle of our Profession (Heb. 3:1)
- Atoning Sacrifice for our Sins (1 John 2:2)
- Author of Life (Acts 3:15)
- Author and Perfecter of our Faith (Heb. 12:2)
- Author of Salvation (Heb. 2:10)
- Beginning and End (Rev. 22:13)
- Blessed and only Ruler (1 Tim. 6:15)
- Bread of God (John 6:33)
- Bread of Life (John 6:35; 6:48)
- Capstone (Acts 4:11; 1 Pet. 2:7)
- Chief Cornerstone (Eph. 2:20)
- Chief Shepherd (1 Pet. 5:4)
- Christ (1 John 2:22)
- Creator (John 1:3)
- Deliverer (Rom. 11:26)
- Eternal Life (1 John 1:2; 5:20)
- Everlasting Father (Isa. 9:6)
- Gate (John 10:9)
- Faithful and True (Rev. 19:11)
- Faithful Witness (Rev. 1:5)
- Faith and True Witness (Rev. 3:14)
- First and Last (Rev. 1:17; 2:8; 22:13)
- Firstborn From the Dead (Rev. 1:5)
- God (John 1:1; 20:28; Heb. 1:8; Rom. 9:5; 2 Pet. 1:1;1 John 5:20; etc.)
- Good Shepherd (John 10:11,14)
- Great Shepherd (Heb. 13:20)
- Great High Priest (Heb. 4:14)
- Head of the Church (Eph. 1:22; 4:15; 5:23)
- Heir of all things (Heb. 1:2)
- High Priest (Heb. 2:17)
- Holy and True (Rev. 3:7)
- Holy One (Acts 3:14)
- Hope (1 Tim. 1:1)
- Hope of Glory (Col. 1:27)
- Horn of Salvation (Luke 1:69)
- I Am (John 8:58)
- Image of God (2 Cor. 4:4)
- King Eternal (1 Tim. 1:17)
- King of Israel (John 1:49)
- King of the Jews (Mt. 27:11)
- King of kings (1 Tim 6:15; Rev. 19:16)
- King of the Ages (Rev. 15:3)
- Lamb (Rev. 13:8)
- Lamb of God (John 1:29)
- Lamb Without Blemish (1 Pet. 1:19)
- Last Adam (1 Cor. 15:45)
- Life (John 14:6; Col. 3:4)
- Light of the World (John 8:12)
- Lion of the Tribe of Judah (Rev. 5:5)
- Living One (Rev. 1:18)
- Living Stone (1 Pet. 2:4)
- Lord (2 Pet. 2:20)
- Lord of All (Acts 10:36)
- Lord of Glory (1 Cor. 2:8)
- Lord of lords (Rev. 19:16)
- LORD [YHWH] our Righteousness (Jer. 23:6)
- Man from Heaven (1 Cor. 15:48)
- Mediator of the New Covenant (Heb. 9:15)
- Mighty God (Isa. 9:6)
- Morning Star (Rev. 22:16)
- Offspring of David (Rev. 22:16)
- Only Begotten Son of God (John 1:18; 1 John 4:9)
- Our Great God and Savior (Titus 2:13)
- Our Holiness (1 Cor. 1:30)
- Our Husband (2 Cor. 11:2)
- Our Protection (2 Thess. 3:3)
- Our Redemption (1 Cor. 1:30)
- Our Righteousness (1 Cor. 1:30)
- Our Sacrificed Passover Lamb (1 Cor. 5:7)
- Power of God (1 Cor. 1:24)
- Precious Cornerstone (1 Pet. 2:6)
- Prince of Peace (Isa. 9:6)
- Prophet (Acts 3:22)
- Resurrection and Life (John 11:25)
- Righteous Branch (Jer. 23:5)
- Righteous One (Acts 7:52; 1 John 2:1)
- Rock (1 Cor. 10:4)
- Root of David (Rev. 5:5; 22:16)
- Ruler of God’s Creation (Rev. 3:14)
- Ruler of the Kings of the Earth (Rev. 1:5)
- Savior (Eph. 5:23; Titus 1:4; 3:6; 2 Pet. 2:20)
- Son of David (Lk. 18:39)
- Son of God (John 1:49; Heb. 4:14)
- Son of Man (Mt. 8:20)
- Son of the Most High God (Lk. 1:32)
- Source of Eternal Salvation for all who obey him (Heb. 5:9)
- The One Mediator (1 Tim. 2:5)
- The Stone the builders rejected (Acts 4:11)
- True Bread (John 6:32)
- True Light (John 1:9)
- True Vine (John 15:1)
- Truth (John 1:14; 14:6)
- Way (John 14:6)
- Wisdom of God (1 Cor. 1:24)
- Wonderful Counselor (Isa. 9:6)
- Word (John 1:1)
- Word of God (Rev. 19:13)
1. And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the SON of the living God.