In all decades there are and have been those who wonder if they should be a butcher, a baker or a candlestick maker (or its modern equivalent). They worry about the specific job they are supposed to be doing and forget that God’s will is made quite clear throughout scripture. These verses do not tell one to go get a particular job but they do tell a person how they and their character should be.
What follows below is a partial list that clearly and with no interpretation needed reveals God’s will. The verses printed in part or titled here are in no particular order or importance:
- “Do unto others as you would have others do unto you”
- “Love thy neighbor as thyself”
- “Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart…”
- “He has told the what is required…love mercy, do justice and…walk with God”
- “Go ye into all the world…”
- “The beatitudes”
- “Make thy own calling and election sure…”
- “Be ye in the world but not of it…”
- “Why do ye call me Lord, Lord but do not do the things I say?’”
- “Seek wisdom, knowledge and understanding…”
- “Husbands love your wives…”
- “Wives submit to your husbands…”
- “Children obey your parents…”
- “Seek ye first the kingdom of God…”
- “Without faith you can’t please God…’
- “Pray without ceasing…”
- “Rid yourself of all malice, deceit hypocrisy, envy…”
- “Desire pure spiritual milk…that you may grow…”
- “Walk in the light as he is in the light…”
- “Continue in Him…”
- “Teach what is in accord with sound doctrine…”
- “Flee the evil desires…pursue righteousness…”
- “Be ye holy for I am Holy…”
- “Do everything without complaining or arguing…’
- “In humility consider others better than yourselves…”
This is but a short list but it provides an idea what God’s will is for His followers. There are a lot more instructions than just these verses but if we start here, then the specifics of what one is to do will become clear as one’s communication with God is open and unobstructed.
The followers of Christ are called to a different path and if they continue to do what the world is doing, then what do they have to offer? Nothing and why would an unbeliever change if they can do the same thing as they normally do? They wouldn’t and the believer must realize this as they seek to win others for Christ.
Revival begins with oneself, not with finger pointing.